GUEST BLOG from: SpeakUpAlameda@gmail.com
ATTEND THIS WEEK’S MEETINGS • SPEAK OUT • PROTECT OUR CITY’S FUTURE!!
CITY of ALAMEDA CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS THIS WEEK
TUESDAY, APRIL 28, 6:30 PM SPEAK BEFORE CLOSED SESSION
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29, 5:00 PM SPEAK BEFORE VOTE / AGENDA IS HERE.
Where’s the fire?
Why the rush to approve Mr. Russo’s proposal???
THE ISSUE YOU WANT TO SPEAK OUT ON
- Fire and Police Contracts expire December 2017 (in 2.5 years)
- City Manager Russo recently negotiated 5-year contract extensions of our fire and police unions, and put it on the April 29th City Council Meeting for approval
- Russo did not include our elected City Treasurer Kevin Kennedy and City Auditor Kevin Kearney (“The Kevins”) in the negotiation process
- Russo gave The Kevins and our city council exactly 2 weeks (!)––during tax season—to assess the contract extension.
- City Council Member Oddie and the Alameda Fire Union and Firefighters are pulling out the stops to get this approved: promoting it in newspapers and online in social media.
- Despite Mr. Oddie’s credentials (B.A. Finance, MBA) and in his recent op-ed, he got the numbers all wrong: Russo’s extension doesn’t reduce our OPEB liability “by $47 million over the next 30 years”.
- In fact, after 30 years of implementing this proposal, the city will still have $252.6 million in unfunded OPEB* liability that we cannot afford
*OPEB: Other Post Employment Benefits
OVER THE NEXT 2 YEARS, WE NEED TO:
1) CAREFULLY ASSESS OUR BUDGET
2) CAREFULLY CRAFT PUBLIC SAFETY CONTRACTS IN CONTEXT OF OUR BUDGET FORECASTS (See graphics below)
WHY? Read on.
THE CITY BUDGET PROJECTIONS SHOW THAT DEFICITS BEGIN BY THIS SAME TIME NEXT YEAR.
SOMETHING’S VERY WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.
80% (!!) OF OUR BUDGET IS SPENT ON PUBLIC SAFETY SERVICES!
. . . AND SOMETHING IS VERY, VERY WRONG
IN OUR CITY FIRE AGENCY.
Some firefighters earning $90K/year, earn another 40% ($36K) in overtime pay per year!
Our city leadership and management should WANT to know what’s wrong before approving any extensions to the existing contract!
ATTEND WEDNESDAY’S CITY COUNCIL MEETING!
PROTECT OUR CITY’S FUTURE!!
MORE INFORMATION: SpeakUpAlameda@gmail.com