30% of #COVID19 cases are asymptomatic and contagious. This we know.
If 100% of the population wears masks when out, then the 30% of the population that is asymptomatic and contagious will *not* be actively spreading the virus, protecting the other 70%, and the community spread of the virus will plummet. This is what Asian countries know.
America: WAKE UP. WEAR A MASK. Don’t buy what the medical teams need, make your own! Plenty of info online about that. Protect others, protect yourself, and slow the viral community spread. Now. Please.
There are two things we can do ourselves to stop the community spread of SARS-CoV-2.:
1) protect others by wearing any mask at all and washing hands, and
2) protect ourselves through safe behavior, wearing a medical or N99+ [P99 or P100] mask, washing hands, social distance, keeping the things we bring into our home and cars sanitized, keep our home and cars sanitized.
IF you own a medical plain or N99/P100 mask, there’s one way you can sanitize it for re-use (you cannot wash it or spray it with sanitizer, that will degrade the weave and no longer protect you): https://corporate.dukehealth.org/news-listing/duke-starts-novel-decontamination-n95-masks-help-relieve-shortages?fbclid=IwAR2beYnTUZEHN3KcdtSXtT5wafl8H-Gr9uzu0ySntomnuGSB6MYnAS5VF0w
Although a 3M mask is best, few of us have those. A homemade mask will prevent droplets from leaving your mouth and landing, for example, on produce in the grocery store, or the touchpad for check out, etc., etc. Source: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/disaster-medicine-and-public-health-preparedness/article/testing-the-efficacy-of-homemade-masks-would-they-protect-in-an-influenza-pandemic/0921A05A69A9419C862FA2F35F819D55?fbclid=IwAR2Tzc7af_vcOzRy9hDk7IU3OXx3hG7La_6iQSb0LpPK9GdPluCAm79Hglw
If you need to make a mask, be sure to custom fit it tight to your face and consider this information: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/?fbclid=IwAR24Kz18-YLYBfdvDuLrkP76DH37sOF6lwywYjvFobDML1pnvmO0Ut1D2u8