Go here. Sign it now. Go on, do it. Takes a moment.
PETITIONING: THE CITY OF ALAMEDA, CITY MANAGER RUSSO
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT
We have a right to expect the city’s public safety services to be up to date with their rescue techniques and capabilities and to effect rescues no matter what.
A move to County Fire would:
1. Save the city 10% from the annual Fire budget, approx. $2.5M PER YEAR, and more if we include Emergency Medical Services.
2. Immediately elevate fire procedures and protocols (P&Ps) … to current standards in the firefighting industry. Contemporary and professional management will significantly improve the firefighter performance and public safety. (Current AFD management and P&Ps are incredibaly outdated, from the 1980s and early 1990s; they are incomplete, obsolete, and contribute to failed responses, performance, and management.)
3. Preserve the city fire logo, uniforms, equipment: nothing would look any different to the residents of Alameda except for the significantly improved services.
4. Force firefighters to compete for their jobs ensuring better quality employees/firefighters.
5. Reduce the political influence that our firefighters (via their wealthy local union) have over the City of Alameda’s elections and elected officials, restoring citizens control in the 2012 election cycle where we can replace lifetime politicians with citizen legislators per the original intent of our city charter.